Warning: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Los_Angeles' for 'PDT/-7.0/DST' instead in /home/songwr5/public_html/forum/index.php on line 11

Warning: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Los_Angeles' for 'PDT/-7.0/DST' instead in /home/songwr5/public_html/forum/index.php on line 11

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Los_Angeles' for 'PDT/-7.0/DST' instead in /home/songwr5/public_html/forum/bb_cookie.php on line 8

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home/songwr5/public_html/forum/index.php:11) in /home/songwr5/public_html/forum/bb_cookie.php on line 8

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Los_Angeles' for 'PDT/-7.0/DST' instead in /home/songwr5/public_html/forum/bb_cookie.php on line 8

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/songwr5/public_html/forum/index.php:11) in /home/songwr5/public_html/forum/bb_cookie.php on line 8

Warning: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Los_Angeles' for 'PDT/-7.0/DST' instead in /home/songwr5/public_html/forum/bb_functions.php on line 125

Warning: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Los_Angeles' for 'PDT/-7.0/DST' instead in /home/songwr5/public_html/forum/bb_functions.php on line 125

Warning: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Los_Angeles' for 'PDT/-7.0/DST' instead in /home/songwr5/public_html/forum/bb_functions.php on line 126

Warning: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Los_Angeles' for 'PDT/-7.0/DST' instead in /home/songwr5/public_html/forum/bb_functions.php on line 126

Warning: strtotime() [function.strtotime]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Los_Angeles' for 'PDT/-7.0/DST' instead in /home/songwr5/public_html/forum/bb_functions.php on line 136

Warning: strtotime() [function.strtotime]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Los_Angeles' for 'PDT/-7.0/DST' instead in /home/songwr5/public_html/forum/bb_functions.php on line 136

Warning: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Los_Angeles' for 'PDT/-7.0/DST' instead in /home/songwr5/public_html/forum/bb_functions.php on line 142

Warning: date() [function.date]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Los_Angeles' for 'PDT/-7.0/DST' instead in /home/songwr5/public_html/forum/bb_functions.php on line 142

Question to Cliff
 | Forums | Reply | Search | Statistics |
Important Announcement: SongWritingFever.com will be shutting down all user-interactive pages effective as of Saturday 13 September 2014. We are very sorry about this. We will be working very hard to bring it back as soon as we can in a much better shape than it is now. What this means is that you will not be able to submit or view lyrics, upload or download songs, view other members profiles, sign up or sign in, or post to the forum. Again, we are terribly sorry about this and we hope that we can bring all those functions and more back soon.
SongWriting Fever Forums

Recording Playground SongWriting Fever Forums / Recording Playground /

Question to Cliff

Elijah James  
Forums Member
#1 | Posted: 24 Mar 2011 15:37
Hi Cliff. My name is Elijah James. I'm new at song writing. My goal is to write good songs and occasionally write a hit ( I'm being realistic ). I hope to someday hear one of my songs on T.V or Radio ( I don't have to sing them myself ). I know a good length for a song on the radio is about 3min 30sec. My question is: What guidelines do they go by to make a song for T.V? Are they usually looking for a specific length or mood, a lot of instrumental? Thanks.
Elijah James  
Forums Member
#2 | Posted: 31 Mar 2011 18:50
Hey it's me again. You are probably not getting any emails showing a question is posted. I'm not receiving any myself and I don't know why. But no worries. There's no rush to answer, after all you are the real deal:) and are probably busy. It's an honor to have asked you a question. I looked you up a little and didn't realize you had a part in making the Vampire Weekend album. I've been yelling at my kids singing Ey Ey Ey Ey ! like in the song 'A Punk'. Your accomplishments are very impressive. Keep on doing what you are doing we are all enjoying it very much. Thanks.
Elijah James  
Forums Member
#3 | Posted: 1 Apr 2011 17:53
Oh! And tell Lisa Loeb I still think she's Hot. And don't ever change the glasses. Also a great song for Lisa Loeb can be found on this site written by Tasha Chemel called ' From a Phone booth in the rain'
You can listen to her song as well as read the lyrics in her profile. I'm 100% sure you will love it! It could be a big hit for her! And can get Lisa Loeb back in the face and hearts of everyone again. Her song 'Five dollar umbrella' made me think of 'From a phone booth in the rain'. Lisa is awesome. It must be so nice to work with such talent. I'd go to bed with a big smile on my face (ear to ear).
Mahmoud Ibrahim Male  
Admin
#4 | Posted: 5 Apr 2011 05:39 | Edited by: Mahmoud Ibrahim
Hello Elijah,

Cliff might be getting emails based on forum RSS feeds but he might not have subscribed.

(Hint: I'm announcing RSS feeds for all forum sections very soon )

What I know for a fact is that Cliff is "out of the studio"...so I guess may be he ain't got the chance to check his email yet

So hang in there and may be I'll be checking Vampire Weekend album and Tasha's profile in the mean time...sound interesting

All the best,
Mahmoud

t: @oasis9020
Cliff Goldmacher  
Forums Member
#5 | Posted: 14 Apr 2011 17:31
Hi Elijah,

Thanks for your question and I'm so sorry you had to wait. I actually received an email today with your question about film/tv. The short answer is that there is no good answer. Music Supervisors (the folks who pick the music for films and tv shows) base their decisions on what the director asks them to find.

That being said, there are several things you can do to improve your odds:

1. Make sure your song is professionally recorded and performed. There's no wiggle room for a poorly sung, played or recorded song. You've only got one chance to make a first impression.

2. Make sure you OWN the recording. That means filling out the necessary paperwork with any session musicians/singers in advance. There's nothing that ruins your chances quicker than not being able to grant the use of your song because you found out after the fact that the singer or players aren't willing to grant you permission.

3. Do your homework. Find out what music supervisors are looking for what shows. There are industry pitch sheets, magazines and even folks whose sole job is to provide music to music supervisors. Get familiar with all of this. Unfortunately, no one's going to do this work for you.

Best of luck with your music and thanks again for your patience!

Best,
Cliff

Recording Playground SongWriting Fever Forums / Recording Playground / Question to Cliff Top
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

login