Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone. in /home/songwr5/public_html/forum/index.php on line 11

Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone. in /home/songwr5/public_html/forum/index.php on line 11

Warning: session_start(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone. in /home/songwr5/public_html/forum/bb_cookie.php on line 8

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home/songwr5/public_html/forum/index.php:11) in /home/songwr5/public_html/forum/bb_cookie.php on line 8

Warning: session_start(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone. in /home/songwr5/public_html/forum/bb_cookie.php on line 8

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/songwr5/public_html/forum/index.php:11) in /home/songwr5/public_html/forum/bb_cookie.php on line 8

Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone. in /home/songwr5/public_html/forum/bb_functions.php on line 125

Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone. in /home/songwr5/public_html/forum/bb_functions.php on line 125

Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone. in /home/songwr5/public_html/forum/bb_functions.php on line 126

Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone. in /home/songwr5/public_html/forum/bb_functions.php on line 126

Warning: strtotime(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone. in /home/songwr5/public_html/forum/bb_functions.php on line 136

Warning: strtotime(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone. in /home/songwr5/public_html/forum/bb_functions.php on line 136

Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone. in /home/songwr5/public_html/forum/bb_functions.php on line 142

Warning: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone. in /home/songwr5/public_html/forum/bb_functions.php on line 142

CONCERN PLEASE RESPOND
 | Forums | Reply | Search | Statistics |
Important Announcement: SongWritingFever.com will be shutting down all user-interactive pages effective as of Saturday 13 September 2014. We are very sorry about this. We will be working very hard to bring it back as soon as we can in a much better shape than it is now. What this means is that you will not be able to submit or view lyrics, upload or download songs, view other members profiles, sign up or sign in, or post to the forum. Again, we are terribly sorry about this and we hope that we can bring all those functions and more back soon.
SongWriting Fever Forums

All Songwriting SongWriting Fever Forums / All Songwriting /

CONCERN PLEASE RESPOND

Domino3fx  
Forums Member
#1 | Posted: 7 Sep 2012 12:37
Hello,

Mahmoud I am songwriter Fx I wanted to know if the Songs I submit on songwritingfever.com are copy written by law. Meaning, if someone were to try and use my song without my authorization could I then sue that individual?

Respectfully,

Dominic Francois

#2 | Posted: 11 Sep 2012 01:21 | Edited by: Patrick Birdener
Ok. I'm not a member of the management, just a new member here, but when I was creating my account here, I was asked for my real name, with the reason being given that it would be used for copyright purposes. I'm fairly certain that would indicate that yes, your work would be legally considered yours. Your work will be registered and show up online under your name, and that should be ample documentation that the work is yours, regarless of whether or not the website supports your claim. In the olden days, when someone wanted to make an official record of their work being theirs, without officially obtaining a copyright notice--the price for getting a notice kept going up and up--they would mail a copy of their work to themselves. Thus it would be an official document, signed and dated, and put through the mailing system. This, while not on paper per say, is very similar to that. You post your work online, it has your name and the the date of your posting, which can be clearly seen. It is an official record of your ownership of your work.

Respectfully,

Patrick Birdener
Domino3fx  
Forums Member
#3 | Posted: 11 Sep 2012 07:58
Thanks for this Pat I feel better about posting the work great site just had that one question.

#4 | Posted: 12 Sep 2012 02:25 | Edited by: Mahmoud Ibrahim
Hi Domino and Patrick...

Here is the "official" reply from SongWritingFever.com...

Patrick Birdener:
when I was creating my account here, I was asked for my real name, with the reason being given that it would be used for copyright purposes. I'm fairly certain that would indicate that yes, your work would be legally considered yours.

I have to comment on this since the word "legally" means very different things in different countries and under different laws. SongWritingFever.com makes no claim whatsoever that by uploading your music or submitting your lyrics to SongWritingFever.com, you have legally proved the work is yours as far as the law in your area is concerned or that the work is registered for copyright. SongWritingFever.com will always strive to support any fair copyright claim if there is ever a dispute (which hasn't happened so far). This is the reason why we ask for your real name, if you were registered by your nickname, SongWritingFever.com can only attribute the work to this "nickname". However, the weight that information provided by SongWritingFever.com carries in any court is completely NOT the responsibility of SongWritingFever.com and SongWritingFever.com makes no claims about this matter whatsoever.

Patrick Birdener:
In the olden days, when someone wanted to make an official record of their work being theirs, without officially obtaining a copyright notice--the price for getting a notice kept going up and up--they would mail a copy of their work to themselves.

This is absolutely true...and it's a common practice to mail stuff to yourself. To what extent any given court gives merit to such documentation (SongWritingFever.com, any other website, or mailing stuff) is a matter you should ask a lawyer about.

Domino3fx:
Meaning, if someone were to try and use my song without my authorization could I then sue that individual?

you really can never be sure that your lyrics will not get stolen! However, in over 5 years of moderating SongWriting Fever Yahoo! group and 2 years working on this website I've never seen a case where someone's lyrics were stolen....I really believe almost all people in such communities are honest and act in good faith. Thieves do not stand a chance because they are by definition unaccomplished folks who wouldn't know what to do with the work they stole anyways. It helps when you protect your songs via official copyright.

That being said, to fully protect yourself (meaning to protect your rights to your work in a court of law), you might need to formally copyright your song or lyrics with your country's copyrights office according to the laws in your area. In USA, this is a very easy process, just visit copyright.gov

Finally, I would recommend you read our copyright and license tips.

..and of course let me know if you have any more questions

Regards,

t: @oasis9020

All Songwriting SongWriting Fever Forums / All Songwriting / CONCERN PLEASE RESPOND Top
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

login